Sunday, September 15, 2013

Julia Holter



I gave in trying to make a list of all the people who say that they are inspired by Robert Wyatt, or are compared to the man. There are so many, and I have to admit that can´t always see the connection.
The last one I saw in Norwegian was something like "he sounds like a mix between Leonard Cohen and Robert Wyatt"! Now beat that one!

When it comes to Julia Holter I see the point! I know her two fine pop albums "Ekstasis" (RVNG 2012) and "Loud City Songs" (Domino 2013), and I think Robert Wyatt might have sung some of the songs if he wanted to, or they even resemble some he already did.

Listening to (among others) "World" (in the video) or "City Appearing" from "Loud City Songs", made me think of Anja Garbarek´s "The Diver" (Wyatt sings on her "Smiling & Waving" album), and perhaps "Stay Tuned" too (Wyatt covers it on "Comicopera").

Here is Julia Holter from Amby (July 2013) - Gimme Your Answers: An Interview w/ Julia Holter:

AMBY: Who influences you as a songwriter and musician?

Julia Holter: A lot of people–Joni Mitchell, Guillaume De Machaut, Robert Ashley, Robert Wyatt.

No comments: