Thursday, February 21, 2013

In memory of Kevin Ayers



As you all know by now, Kevin Ayers died 18 February 2013. Here are some nice words on Kevin Ayers from different papers and magazines:

Kevin Ayers: Singer, guitarist and pioneer of British psychedelic rock (The Independent 20 February).

Kevin Ayers (The Telegraph 21 February).

Soft Machine founder Kevin Ayers dies (BBC News 21 Februar).

BBC also print a tribute from Robert Wyatt, starting like this: "About 50 years ago, someone said to me that there was another bloke with long hair in east Kent, so I should meet him because we'd be sure to get on. I did, and we did".

Farewell, Kevin Ayers... (Mojo 20 February).

Also short tributes at Rolling Stone, Pitchfork, Clash and Billboard.

The Guardian (21 February) print "Kevin Ayers: I never considered another profession' – one of his final interviews", originally in Word magazine in 2008.

"The thing about Soft Machine and me," he goes on slowly, "was that I never considered another profession. My only other desire was to do as little as possible. Honestly, I just assume that whatever is going to happen to me is going to happen. There it goes: someone is there, someone isn't there. This girl is here. This food is here. I think the clever people are the ones who do a little as possible."

2 comments:

schlep said...

Thanks for the links Svenn! I learned a lot from that Guardian interview. Here's another from 2008 Perfect Sound Forever magazine, I found it sort of inspiring then, and I enjoyed re-reading it this week (pardon the white-on-black print scheme - ecch)
http://www.furious.com/perfect/kevinayers2.html

Svenn said...

Thanks!