Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Baboon Moon


I guess you know already, but I still want to tell you. Nils Petter Molvær (trumpet and misc.) has got himself a new band, a trio with Stian Westerhus (guitar and misc. - "too many pedals") and Erland Dahlen (drums and misc.) They just released "Baboon Moon" on Sula Records (2011), a great album with a perfect mix of "sad and beautiful" music, like on "A small realm", "Prince of Calm" and "Coded", and powerful tunes like "Mercury Heart", "Sleep With Echoes", "Recoil" and "Baboon Moon" (Susanne Sundfør guesting on vocal).
All the way we feel and hear a dark sound carpet under the melodies, probably made by all the misc. they are playing. On "Blue Fandango" Erland Dahlen even get his singing saw going!

I like pretty much all of Molvær´s stuff, but my guess is that I will play "Baboon Moon" even more often than the other albums! Go buy!

I even like the cover girl Maggie (fold out cover with lots of pictures)! Photographer Per Maning knows how to take pictures of animals. Check his "Early works" here.


No comments: